As the enamel layer of the teeth starts wearing down and thinning itself due to chewing or other activities, the yellow dentin is exposed, making the teeth look dull and yellow. Dentin is the yellow material inside the teeth under the enamel. It is the primary cause of the teeth turning yellow.
At Chestnut Ridge, New York, you can find a team of competent professionals that have made a mark for teeth whitening, providing your care, comfort, and proper follow-ups.
Let’s take a look at the external factors causing yellow teeth and making them look dull?
Various factors cause yellow teeth:
- Diet: Certain foods high in tannins, such as red wine, can be a major cause of yellow teeth. Some of the reasons for tooth discoloration include drinking soda, coffee, wine. These substances get into the enamel of your teeth and can cause long-term yellowness.
- Smoking: Smoking is amongst the top causes of yellow teeth, leaving stubborn stains.
- Illness: Certain medical conditions or medications can also cause yellow teeth. For example, chemotherapy for head and neck cancer can cause yellow teeth. Moreover, certain types of medication, including medication for asthma and high blood pressure, can also cause yellow teeth.
- Poor oral hygiene: Poor oral hygiene is one of the causes of yellow teeth too. Some toothbrushes or toothpaste can also cause yellowness in teeth.
- Fluoride: Excessive fluoride has been critically acclaimed to make the teeth yellow, especially in children.
Ways to whiten teeth and get rid of yellowness.
White teeth always make you feel good to flaunt, and once you have made up your mind to invest in the same, there are two ways to do it
Professional teeth whitening
There are several whitening pastes in the market, but the main focus should be maintaining a good oral hygiene practice like brushing, flossing, and rinsing every day. Also, baking soda, coconut pulling, Apple cider vinegar, and activated charcoals can help keep your teeth healthy and clean. Eating fruits and vegetables with high water content is also recommended. The most preferred is using over-the-counter whitening strips and gels, both of which use peroxide-based whitening gel.
Professional teeth whitening
Whitening is also done at the dentist’s office, which includes applying a bleaching agent directly to your teeth. Special lights and lasers are used to enhance the performance of the bleach. Depending on the yellowness of the teeth, the treatment can range from 30 minutes to an hour.
Yellowing of teeth can happen at any stage in life, but it could be prevented by taking a few measures like cutting back on coffee or smoke. You can also drink with a straw so that the liquid won’t get near the surface of your teeth. In addition, improve your dental hygiene by brushing, flossing, and using an antibacterial mouthwash daily. You can also visit the dentist for teeth whitening in Chestnut Ridge every six months. It will keep your mouth healthy and give you a brighter smile too.