Bathymetric surveys allow us to determine the depth of a body of water and map its underwater features. Multi- and single-beam surveys, ADCPs, sub-bottom profiler surveys, and the Ecomapper Autonomous Underwater Vehicle can all be used for bathymetric surveys. Bathymetric surveys are used for various purposes, including flood inundation, stream and reservoir contouring, leakage, scour and stability, water-quality investigations, dam removal, biological and spill, and reservoir and pond storage and fill. Contour lines are drawn on bathymetric charts to depict relative terrain relief. These contours, also known as isobaths, use color gradients to indicate relief. Let’s know some main Reasons to conduct Bathymetric And Hydrographic Survey.
Reasons to conduct Bathymetric And Hydrographic Survey
Accurate hydrographic surveys and nautical charts provide several societal benefits and help to make our lives more luxurious.
1. The most significant effect of hydrography is navigational safety. This allows ships to enter and exit ports safely, saving lives and property while conserving the environment.
2. Navigating coastal waters successfully is required for national security.
3. Maritime commerce is the lifeblood of the global economy, and it depends on navigation safety.
4. Humanitarian aid is frequently delivered by ship after a natural disaster. Supplies will not reach those in need unless hydrographers provide a clear and safe passage to land.
5. Knowledge of changes in the maritime environment is essential for environmental management in coastal areas. Changes in the environment are determined via hydrographic studies.
6. To locate fishing areas and travel safely, commercial fishers use nautical charts and other hydrographic tools.
7. Insurance premiums are lower. Updated nautical charting information can help commercial and private maritime businesses, marinas, and port and harbor authorities save money on insurance.
The physical features of existing underwater surveys are known as bathymetric surveying or hydrographic surveying. It is the study of determining all factors below the water’s surface that affects all maritime activities such as dredging, marine constructions, offshore drilling, etc.
Bathymetric surveys are utilized in a variety of studies, including:
· Inundation by the flood
· Streams and reservoirs’ contours
· Study on water quality
· Scour and stability are two words that come to mind while thinking about scouring and stabile
Hydrographic surveying can be used for the following purposes:
· The bed’s depth can be determined.
· It is possible to determine the shorelines.
· Preparation of a navigation chart
Process to conduct it –
Sonar is used in hydrographic surveys to gather accurate water depth and bottom contour data. These echo-sounding systems work on the premise that a sound signal transmitted into the water will be reflected when it hits an object.
Hydrography aids in the safe and effective operation of our maritime transportation system by mapping out water depth, the shape of the seafloor and coastline, the position of potential impediments, and the physical features of water bodies.
This is done by hydrographic surveys, which use the scientific method of measuring and characterizing characteristics of marine life, navigation, and construction. Bathymetric surveys also provide marine depths, but they usually display the topography of the bottom surface in more detail.
These are the main reasons why Bathymetric And Hydrographic Survey conducted by the professional companies as per the requirement.